Antispyware Soft is similar in interface and behavior to Antivirus Soft, Antivirus Live and Antivirus soft scareware. This malicious, rogue security software aggressively displays fraudulent system security alerts about non-existent network infiltration attempts and malware.
The anti spyware soft rogue when installed:
- Installs the Fake Windows Security Center where all the links lead to its payment page.
- Hijacks Internet Explorer and automatically opens a specific set of porn websites every few minutes.
- Blocks execution of most programs.
- Blocks execution of Task Manager, Command Prompt and MS Configuration editor.
- Blocks Windows firewall, Automatic Updates and Internet Options.
- Disables Internet Explorer Phishing Filter.
Scareware like Antispyware Soft are commonly installed when users are redirected to fake online scanner pages or fake ‘video codec required’ pages distributed through out the Web by cyber criminals using blackhat SEO techniques, Spam and Malicious flash advertisements.
Antispyware Soft Removal (How to remove Antispyware Soft)
MalwareBytes’s Anti-Malware Free edition (mbam-setup.exe) was able to remove this infection.
- Boot in to Windows Safe Mode with networking
- Download MalwareBytes’s Anti-Malware Free edition (mbam-setup.exe) or from a clean computer download and copy to a removable drive like CD, DVD or USB flash drive.
- Double-click mbam-setup.exe to start the installation. Proceed with installation following the prompts. Make sure that the following option is checked when you finish the installation: Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware.
- Once the update is completed, Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and select Perform full scan in the Scanner tab. When the scan is completed, click “Show results“, confirm that all instances of the rogue security software are check-marked and then click “Remove Selected” to delete them. If prompted restart immediately to complete the removal process.
- Turn System Restore off and on.
If you find the Internet Explorer is still being re-directed to the scareware website, remove the proxy settings as follows:
Open Internet Explorer, Click Tools menu and then click Internet options or open Internet options via control panel. In the Internet Options window, select the Connections tab. In the Connections tab, click on LAN settings.
In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window, click Advanced and clear the proxy address 127.0.0.1 and port 5555. Click Yes and OK your way out.
You should now be clean of this rogue.
The full version of Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware performs brilliantly against scareware such as Antispyware Soft. The real-time component of the paid version includes dynamic blocking of malicious websites, servers and prevents execution of malware. It would caution you before most rogue security software could install itself. Please consider purchasing the Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware Full version for additional protection.
Antispyware Soft Analysis
A rogue security software such as Antispyware Soft belongs to a family of software products that call themselves as antivirus, antispyware or registry cleaners and often use deceptive or high pressure sales tactics and deliberate false positives to convince users into buying a license/subscription. They are often repackaged and renamed. They do not actually remove malware instead many of them add more malware of their own. They need to be removed immediately from your system.
The trojan downloader was about 271104 bytes in size. It was detected by 32/41 (78.05%) of antivirus engines available at VirusTotal.
- FraudTool.Win32.AVSoft (v)
Typical Antispyware Soft Scare Messages
Windows reports that computer is infected. Antivirus software helps to protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. Click here for the scan you computer. Your system might be at risk now.
Infiltration alert. Virus Attack. Your computer is being attacked by an internet virus. It could be a password-stealing attack, a trojan-dropper or similar.
Users should not fall for the false alerts of system infection and buy the scareware to ‘clean’ the system. If you purchased one by entering your credit card number at a rogue software website, it would be prudent to:
- Immediately contact the bank that issued the card and dispute the charges.
- Request them to not allow any further transaction and cancel the card. You may also request them to issue a new card with a different number.
Antispyware Soft Associated Files and Folders
- C:\Documents and Settings\malwarehelp.org\Local Settings\Application Data\ylyqcrynp\klbqtgitssd.exe
Some of the file names may be randomly generated. The term malwarehelp.org or malwarehelp in the above entries denotes the name of the Windows user account in the test machine.
Antispyware Soft Associated Registry Values and Keys
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download\CheckExeSignatures=no
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download\RunInvalidSignatures=1
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter\EnabledV8=0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter\Enabled=0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyServer=http=127.0.0.1:5555
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\njjhiffj=C:\Documents and Settings\malwarehelp.org\Local Settings\Application Data\ylyqcrynp\klbqtgitssd.exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script\Settings
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script\Settings\JITDebug=1
The term malwarehelp.org or malwarehelp in the above entries denotes the name of the Windows user account in the test machine.
Antispyware Soft Associated Domains
This scareware was observed accessing the following domains during installation and operation:
- avtiviruspower .com
Note: Visiting the domains mentioned above may harm your computer system.
If you are unable to get rid of this scareware, please visit one of the recommended forums for malware help and post about your problem.
Antispyware Soft Scareware — Screenshots
Antispyware Soft Scareware — Video
Note: The Antispyware Soft installation and removal was tested on a default installation of Windows XP SP3. The content provided in this article is not warranted or guaranteed by Malware Help. Org. The content provided is intended for entertainment and/or educational purposes. I am not liable for any negative consequences that may result from implementing any information covered in this article. The above information is correct at the time of my testing, it might change with time and or under different testing conditions.
You may also like to read