Google Confirms News Prank, Pulls Source Of Bogus Info


A 16-year-old Google fan was able to get a bogus press release announcing his hiring by the search engine on Google News, and the distributor of the release has been removed as a source for the automated news service, Google said Wednesday.

The phony release was posted last week after Google's Web crawlers picked it from I-Newswire, which distributes news releases free of charge.

The release, which has been removed from I-Newswire and Google News, said the boy had been hired to work on security flaws in Google's Web mail service Gmail, according to a blog posting from StepForth Placement Inc., a consulting service for getting higher listings on search engine results. The announcement, which was attributed to Google co-founder and president Larry Page, also said the teen-ager would work from his New Jersey home and his earnings would be placed in a bank account for his education. InformationWeek | Automated News | Google Confirms News Prank, Pulls Source Of Bogus Info | March 15, 2006

Linked by shanmuga Wednesday, 15th March 2006 9:55PM